Letter to Veteran

1

Posted by tinar1415 | Posted in Language Arts | Posted on November 21, 2014

Dear Veteran ,

Thank you for keeping our country safe. I really appreciate what you have done for us.  I also thank you for keeping peace and freedom for our country.  I wear a poppy on Remembrance Day to remember the soldiers who died in war.  I also appreciate how you fought to save our lives.

poppy

I  have learned that long ago soldiers came to peoples doors and said they had to come to war.  I also learned that  poppies  were made of red  cloth  and black centres.  John McCrae who was a soldier wrote a  poem called in, “Flanders Fields. ”   He wrote the poem in memory of his friend who died in war.   We wear a poppy  over  our heart to remember the soldiers who died in war. We learned that  the  Peace  Tower in Ottowa  has a Memorial  Chamber  that  holds the Book  of  Rememberance. Each page of each book is turned once a year on the same date each year.  World War 1 came to an end at  11:00 on November  11th  in 1918.    

image

Our  Rememberance Day  concert  was on November 7th  and  we sang, ” Just  One Candle.”  We  made clay poppies  for Rememberance Day.  At the Rememberance Day Assembly a lady from the Legion read a long poem.   I enjoyed the performance of the grade 7’s playing the drums.    I will always remember what  you have done  for us.      

Yours Truly,  

T.R.

flanders field                                                              

Comments (1)

Great job, Tina. You did a nice job explaining why we have Remembrance Day. I can tell you learned a great deal from the comprehension stories that we read in class because you explained what you learned. Next time, just simply tell the reader the facts without including I learned this.

I also enjoyed the grade seven performance with the drums. However, the I think the Grade Four students did a great job singing also!

Fantastic job on your clay poppy created in Art class. Continue to work on expanding your ideas and adding descriptive adjectives to your writing. Keep up the great work! 🙂

Write a comment

Skip to toolbar