Remembrance Day Letter

1

Posted by sarap1415 | Posted in Language Arts | Posted on November 23, 2014

Dear Veteran,

Thank you for saving our country.  Thank you for fighting for peace and freedom.  I wear a poppy on Remembrance Day to show I appreciate what you have done for us.  There are statutes of twenty-five soldiers found on the National War Memorial in Ottawa to remember those that died in the war.  We wear poppies on Remembrance Day to show we care for the soldiers who died in the war.  I feel sorry for the soldiers who died in the war.

A  long time  ago people came to the door and said you have to come and help fight in the war.  John  Mc Crae, who was a soldier, had a friend  that died in the war and wrote a poem called, “ In Flanders Fields.”   We learned the Peace Tower has fifty-three bells on it and is found in Ottawa.  The bells are rung  on Remembrance Day.  

We had our Remembrance Day Assembly on Friday, November  7th.  We sang a song called, “Just One Candle.”  Most of the classes performed a song.   We made a picture frame poppy with plasticine . We also listened to a song called,  “ A Pittance of Time.”   It was about a girl standing beside her dad discussing why we have Remembrance Day. My favourite song at the Remembrance Day Assembly was our Grade Four class because the lights were off when we were holding our battery operated candles for the song called, “Just One Candle.”   Thank you for what you have done for us.

image

Yours Truly,

Sara

poppy

Comments (1)

Nice work, Sara. Your letter shows that you understand why we have Remembrance Day. You demonstrated your knowledge by explaining what you learned about Remembrance Day. Next time you can simply state the facts on what you are writing about, rather than saying I learned this.

It was great you included your personal feelings in your letter when you explained you were sad for those that died. This allows the reader to see that you have empathy for others. You went back and expanded your ideas in your letter. This allows your writing to be more interesting. Continue working on adding more detail and adjectives to your next writing project.

Nice job on your clay poppy and I agree, Grade Four students did a terrific job singing! Keep working hard, Sara! 🙂

Write a comment

Skip to toolbar