Remembrance Day Letter

1

Posted by agathap1516 | Posted in Language Arts | Posted on November 20, 2015

Dear Veteran,

Thank you for keeping our country safe and free. I appreciate that I can go to school without any bombs or guns going off. I wear a poppy on Remembrance Day over my heart to show I appreciate what you have done for our country. Thank you for keeping many people safe. Thank you for fighting in many different countries for freedom.

The Peace Tower is found in Ottawa.  It is 90.6 meters high and it has 53 bells. Inside the Peace Tower is a room called the Memorial Chamber. In the Chamber is a Book of Remembrance. The name of each Canadian soldier who died during the war is found in the Book of Remembrance.   John McCrae, a doctor who was born in Ontario in 1872 wrote the poem, “In Flanders Fields,” about the graves where a red flower called a poppy grew.  Many people lost their homes after the war. There were over 38 million people who died during World War 1.

We are making a poppy out of clay.  We are singing a song called, “A Wish For Peace,’’ by Denise Gagne. Our class read a book called “A Poppy is to Remember. We had a Remembrance Day Ceremony on November 10th. We listened to a song by Bryan Adams called Never Let Go. I was glad that a lot of people came to the school to watch. There was a veteran at the assembly. He had medals on each side. He was 22 years old when he started to fight in the war. I liked the song that the grade two’s sang for the Remembrance Day Ceremony it was called, “Teaching Peace,” by Red Grammer.

THANK YOU!

s-l225Poppies_1024x600                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Yours Truly ,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       poppy-2jlnjov  Agatha                                                                                                                                                                                                                       3-m1a2-abrams

Comments (1)

Nice work, Agatha! Your post showcases your understand the importance of paying your respects to the soldiers on Remembrance Day. I like how you explained what you learned such as the Peace Tower and John McCrae. I can tell you learned a great deal about Remembrance Day. There are times your sentences are choppy: We are making a poppy out of clay, we read a story, we listened to song. This is where you need to explain what you learned from the story or the song. This is a suggestion for your next writing project. Nice selection of Remembrance Day pictures and your font colour. Your clay poppy turned out nicely! Keep working hard, Agatha! 🙂

Write a comment

Skip to toolbar